Why is information disclosure system?
To guarantee the public’s right to know
- Information disclosure is needed to fulfill the public’s right to know. Together with the right to read and the right to hear, the right to know is among the prerequisites of human integrity. And as an individual person’s right that enables his or her self-realization, it is an important part of the human right to happiness.
To ensure the public’s participation in state administration
- Information disclosure is needed to ensure the public’s participation in state administration as well. By obtaining sufficient information on state administration, the public can form correct political opinions and thereby exercise voting right, and ensure participation in state administration through forming public opinion.
To promote public trust
- Information disclosure is needed to promote public trust, too. An open government realized through information disclosure guarantees the transparency in state administration, and promotes trust in it by realizing a fair and democratic state administration.
To realize true democracy
- Furthermore, information disclosure is needed to ensure the survival of democracy and realize public autonomy. The public must have free access to various information related to state administration at all times and has to be conversant with the information accumulated in the government to be able to make correct political decisions as the sovereign who has the right to decide on state affairs.
To protect the public’s rights and interests
- Information disclosure is needed to protect the public’s rights and interests as well. Modern-day life is infested with various complex issues such as environmental conservation, pollution, consumer rights, transportation, and urban problems. In order to ensure personal safety as well as mental and bodily health, the public should be guaranteed with the right to confront public organizations by irregularly obtaining relevant information and thereby demand an explanation for what has caused the breach of their interests in everyday life, and preventive measures as well as remedies.
- Finally, information disclosure is needed to ensure the legitimacy of policy decision, realize responsible public administration, prevent corruptions and irregularities, advance knowledge and sciences, discover truth, and promote equal distribution of state information.